Closing Date for receipt of applications – 1st July, 9am
£20,000 p.a. – start date end of August/start of September to be negotiated
You will be working as part of a close-knit team to help ensure the smooth running of Paul’s constituency office. You will help with a wide range of administrative tasks including managing Paul’s diary, dealing with incoming post, e-mails and telephone calls to manage the large volume of contacts that Paul receives, researching and drafting responses on policy issues and ensuring constituents are given a first-rate service on a variety of personal, local and national issues. You will also be involved in helping to arrange and attend public events across the constituency, assist with Paul’s Social Media presence and website and other tasks as required.
This is a permanent position based in the constituency office in Sheffield Central subject to satisfactory completion of a six month probationary period.
- Deal with enquiries from the public, by phone, letter, e-mail and in person, taking appropriate action to respond, document or escalate concerns/enquiries.
- Manage Paul’s constituency and Westminster diaries.
- Respond to all enquiries in a timely, comprehensive and professional manner.
- Attend surgeries as required and support community engagement activities, (occasional weekend and evening work will be required).
- Ensure enquiries are dealt with in a confidential and appropriate manner and make sure that records of contact are kept whilst adhering to the Data Protection Act & GDPR requirements.
- Research and draft responses to constituents’ correspondence on policy issues.
- Other duties will involve drafting letters and report, maintaining the electronic and manual filing systems, and undertaking other duties within the constituency office as required.
- As first point of contact with the office you must have a pleasant telephone manner with the confidence to deal effectively with constituents, outside bodies and politicians.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in order to be able to identify constituents’ issues and respond or pass on to colleagues.
- Good research skills and political insight for communicating with constituents on policy issues.
- Key IT skills including use of the Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and be able to manage a large and varied workload.
- Sympathetic to the ideals of the Labour Party.
The successful applicant will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) in the Houses of Parliament.
A covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position along with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line – ‘First Name, Surname – Constituency Assistant’.
Please also enclose the contact details (incl. tel no) for two people (including your current or most recent employer) who can provide a reference. References will not be taken up until after the interview date.
Interviews are scheduled to take place on 12 July in Paul’s constituency office in Sheffield and candidates will be asked to complete a written exercise on the day.